Introduction to Using This Website
This article highlights the main content offerings of the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment website. It also points out many useful features available, such as our site-specific search and use of breadcrumbs, which make it easier to locate information and to navigate the site. The following section explains how to contact us.
Continue by using the previous and next links below to step through this help document sequentially; or use the index at the left to choose a specific help topic to view.
If you cannot find the information you are seeking on our site, please contact us so we may assist you. A staff directory and other contact information are available in the About Us section.
- Facts and Figures – A variety of statistical and narrative information describing the University, past and present. Topics include information on the history, mission, and organization of the University, and recent data on: enrollments; student, faculty, and staff characteristics; fiscal and capital resources; and academic, research, and public service activities.
- Planning and Decision Support – Data and other information resources for use by University administrators in strategic planning and management activities. Subjects include multi-year trends in enrollments, staffing, instructional activities, research productivity, and other indicators with breakdowns by organization. Access to some information requires prior authorization.
- Institutional Effectiveness – Information reflecting Carolina’s continuous efforts to measure progress towards its vision of becoming the leading public university. Contents include results of benchmarking with peer institutions and trends in the achievement of institutional priorities. A variety of resources are also provided to support the efforts of individual units to assess student learning outcomes and administrative objectives.
- What’s New – Announcements about recent additions to the site and new information resources available through the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
- Additional Resources – Links to additional data and information available from other offices on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus and external organizations.
- About Us – Contact information for staff in the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
- Budget Planning Data Access – Documents relevant to specific University areas. Authorization is required.
Data Pages For Tabular Data
The OIRA site contains a variety of statistical data and reports, most of which are presented in pop-up data pages. These data pages open up as separate windows, allowing you to resize the view.
Options: Using icons located at the upper left of every data table page, you can email a link or print the data table. To close the window click the red “X” close icon.
Use the keyboard to expand your options. Select and copy the data using cntl+C keys. To extract a data table in Excel format when using Internet Explorer as your browser, right-click on the data table and select Export to Microsoft Excel.
Printing Tip: To print a color copy of the data tables, you need to enable the option in your browser for printing background colors and images. This also applies to printing background shading in black and white copies.
- Internet Explorer
- From the Tools menu, choose Internet Options. Select the Advanced tab to view your Settings. Scroll down to locate the Printing section. Check Print background colors and images. Click OK.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Under the File menu, select Page Setup. On the Format & Options tab, select Print Background (colors & images). Click OK.
- For some of the topic areas, moving your mouse over this menu will reveal a list of subtopics, allowing you to explore the topic quickly.
- Clicking on either a topic or subtopic name in this left menu will take you to the landing page for each respective topic or subtopic area. On each landing page, you will find more descriptions and choices to help you narrow your search.
- When a topic also has a subtopic menu, such as the topic Facts and Figures, clicking on the topic name will take you to the same landing page as clicking on Overview from the subtopic menu.
Additional navigational features on each page include:
- Breadcrumb links: Situated at the top of each interior page, these links are designed to orient you as you navigate the site. Breadcrumbs provide a hierarchical path to help you understand the structure of the site. For example, from the Student Data page, the breadcrumb links at the top of the page are Home >Facts and Figures >Student Data. Home will take you to the home page and Facts and Figures will return you to the Facts and Figures landing page.
- Site Map: A hierarchical listing of the web site pages is available through a link at the bottom of each page.
- Quick Links: Found on the home page at the right side of your screen, Quick Links provide direct access to particularly important, relevant, time-sensitive or popular topics on the OIRA web site.
- OIRA links: Links at the bottom of each page provide fast access to the OIRA home page and to a site map. The Contact Us link is readily available here for sending us an email. Also found here are links to very useful resources: the FAQ (frequently asked questions) and a glossary of terms used on the site.
- UNC-Chapel Hill links: At the top of each page (above the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment banner) you will find convenient links to the UNC-Chapel Hill web site, including the directory, news, calendar and search. These links open up in a new window and take you outside this website.
The site uses the campus Google search appliance to help you find information on any page within the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment web site. The search, available from every page, is situated under the topic menu at the left